The Victory park is the oldest in Poltava. It is situated near Pervomayskiy avenue. The park was laid out due to initiative of General-governor prince Kurakin. He bought a piece of lands of major Krylovskiy and gave it to the town. Later he asked prince Kochubey to give the town his wonderful forest for a beautiful garden creating. The lands of count Razumovskiy were bought for broadening the garden. In 1803 the park was fenced. The province architect Amvrosimov helped to organize flowerbeds, greenhouses and constructed arbors. In 1818-1892 the park was broadened again due to buying additional lots. In 1820 there was created Poltava school of gardening, which worked till 1841. Later the school and part of the park were given to Poltava Institute for Noble Maidens, established in Kochubey’s former mansion. In the middle of XIX century the park was given to gardener Gusson, who received 200 rubles every year for gardening there. In 1852 there were built rooms of the second Poltava theater at the park territory; the theater functioned till the beginning of XX century. The huge territory of the park had old oak alleys, lilac groves, shady paths and rosaries. There also were fireplaces, opened for everyone, who walked in winter. In 1859 admirers of Shevchenko honored the Kobzar. Speeches were hold in Ukrainian, Russian, Czech and Polish languages, even Shevchenko’s friend — Pylchikov — said few words. In 1861 Poltava admirers of Shevchenko planted in the garden an oak in honour of the great writer. During the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878, when Poltava citizens were notified about liberating of Tyrnovo (modern Velyko-Tyrnovo), there were organized mass street festivities in the park on July 29th, 1877. The entrance was paid and money, collected during celebrations (1150 rubles) was sent to the fund of Bulgarians’ liberation from the Ottoman yoke. In addition the fund also received 250 rubles, gathered at the park theater charity performance. In 1917 mass meetings and public gatherings took place in the park.
Before the Second World War the former town garden, which territory considerably reduced, was called after Franko. In the beginning of 30-s the memory of Shevchenko was honored one more time. On August 29th, 1936, in one of the park corners, Korolenko — the famous Russian writer, who lived in Poltava — was buried near his mansion. In 1940 his wife also was buried there. During the occupation (1941-1943) fascists cut out bulk trees and bushes and destroyed the park constructions. In 1944-1945, citizens of Poltava planted trees and bushes, cleaned ponds, created flowerbeds and built attractions on Sundays and Saturdays. The park was revived and called «Pobeda» (the Victory park). In 1970 the park became the memorial of landscape architecture and in 1978 the reconstruction of the park started. Today there is the Singing ground named after Marusya Churay.