The central point of the city is the round Alexandrian (Corpusny) garden. It is the favourite resting-place of Poltavites. It was created by the plan developed in the days of the governorgeneral Prince Alex Kurakin. For a long time Poltava Petrovskiy cadet corps had cared of the park. That is why it was named Corpusny. This name has preserved up to our days.
Once there was an ordinary suburban waste ground. When the city began to expand the eight main ways was stretched to the monastery, to the churches, to other places like rays.
The square was begun to build in 1802. In 1840 the park was laid out around the Monument of Glory. In 1909 the park was opened officially in honor of the 200th anniversary of the celebration of Poltava battle. Since 1964 the Corpusny park has been sight of the landscape architecture. The park has a round form and the eight radial avenues. There are about 70 species of trees and bushes, the flowerbeds are laid out. There area is 6 hectares. The brass band plays in the park at weekends.