Monument to defenders of Poltava (to A. S. Kelyn)
The monument to the glorious defenders of Poltava and to the brave town Commandant Alexei Kelin is situated on the May boulevard, where the fortress wall passed and there were Mazurivsky’s gates. The ferocious battle was there on June 21-22, 1709. This monument was opened to 200th anniversaryof Poltava battle — on June, 27, 1909. The authors are: a sculptor À. Îber and an architect O. Bilderming. The bronze figure of a lion symbolizes the heroism of defenders of Poltava. The monument is a composition from the granite cube and rectangular prism on it. All this stands on a three-step base. The height of the monument is about 8 meters. The eagle had crowned the top of monument before but it was taken off in the years of the civil war.
There is a bronze board with the inscription: «To the glorious Commandant of Poltava, Colonel Kelin, and the Glorious Defenders of the Town in 1709». In the upper part of the obelisk is an old coat of arms of Poltava. There are facts about the defenders of the fortress written on a bronze board. Kelin has got a rank of major-general for the organization of defence Poltava. In German occupation years the bronze figure of the lion, the coat of arms, the boards were taken out to Germany. The monument was restored again in 1947-1949. All details were poured off anew.