Monument to T. G. Shevchenko
The monument to the world known poet and artist Taras Shevchenko was put up opposite the Local Lore museum in Poltava on March, 12, 1926.
It was built on the project of the Ukrainian sculptor ². Kavaleridze, the native of Poltava region, in the style of cubism. The monument is made of reinforced concrete symbolizing a burial mound upon which the figure of the poet is placed. The figure of Shevchenko has a severe laconicism which creates strong and wise image. The pedestal bears the inscription: " T. H. Shevchenko" and a line from his «Testament»: «...And water with the tyrant’s blood the freedom you have gained...».
T. Shevchenko arrived in Poltava for the first time in summer 1843, then in 1845-47 and in 1859. There he wrote some works: «Heretic», «Blind», the poems «Don’t envy to rich man», «Don’t marry a rich woman». He created a few drawings, portraits. In 1845 Shevchenko lived in Poltava. His impressions were incarnated in the story «Twins». In Poltava he sketched the farmstead of ². Kotlyarevsky and the monastery of the Exaltation of the Cross.