The church was built in 1901-1904 near Kobyschany village with help of the merchant L. Kolesnikov. The church was sanctified in 1904 in honor of the martyr Makary Kanevsky the Miracle-Worker of Pereyaslavl. The right chapel was sanctified in honor of the Prophet Elijah.
The single-floor four-way stone church touches a belfry on the Western side.
The church was closed in 1937; but restarted its activity in 1941. After the Transfiguration church was ruined (1962), Makaryevska church became the cathedral of Poltava and the cathedra of Poltava bishops. There are some mural paintings of XX century, remained at the church walls, so as the Gorbanyvka icon of the Mother of God (1786). The restoration works of the interior were made in 1967 and 1987. The church can be found on str. Lyali Ubiyvovk, 2.